Striim® 4.1.0 release notes
Except for a few corrections to the documentation, release 4.1.0 is identical to
Striim 4.0.6. Future updates will be numbered accordingly (for example, 220.127.116.11 rather
For evaluating Striim:
- memory: minimum 4 GB for use by Striim (so the system should have at least 5GB,
preferably 8GB or more)
- free disk space: minimum 10 GB, 20 GB recommended
- operating system:
- for evaluation, development, and production (if you need to run Striim on another operating system or version,
please contact Striim support):
64-bit CentOS 6.7 through 7.6,
64-bit Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, or 18.04,
64-bit Windows Server 2012
- for evaluation and development only: Mac OS X 10, Windows 8.1 or 10
- 64-bit Oracle Java SE JDK 8 (recommended) or 64-bit OpenJDK 8
A production environment will require more memory and disk space.
Java SE JDK 7 and OpenJDK 7 are no longer supported. You must upgrade to version 8.
The web client has been tested on Chrome. Other web browsers should work, but if you
encounter bugs, try Chrome.
Changes that may require modification of your TQL code, workflow, or environment
Handling of underscore characters in Tables and Excluded Tables properties
Underscore characters are now always literal underscores. In previous releases, they
were sometimes treated as single-character wildcards, in which cases escaping them with
a backslash ()
\_) indicated a literal underscore. Also, it is no longer
necessary to escape backslashes when
non-default case and special characters in table identifiers.
Importing TQL may fail with missing property errors
In previous releases, any reader, parser, writer, or formatter properties that have
default values could be omitted from TQL and on import they would be given those default
values. In this release, some TQL that imported without error in previous releases may
fail on import due when these properties are not specified. The error message will
indicate what property you must add for import to work. This may also happen with sample
code in the documentation.
XStream support has been deprecated.
The sObject property has been removed in favor of the new Objects property. If you use
the export-import method to upgrade from an earlier Striim release, the value of the sObject
property will be copied to the Objects property.
Oracle Reader's DDL support has been deprecated in favor of schema evolution
The DDL support docuemnted in
Including DDL operations in Oracle Reader output has been deprecated in this release.
Applications created in earlier releases that use this feature are still supported but
schema evolution cannot be enabled for those applications and reating new applications is
not supported. Oracle Reader's DDL Capture Mode property does not appear in the UI.
If you wish to migrate from the old feature to schema evolution, you must create a new
New Halt state & alerts
The new HALT status indicates that an application failure is due to an external cause,
such as a source or target database being offline. If you have any alerts on application
Crash, you should create additional alerts for Halt. For more in formation, see
Administrator's Guide > Sending alerts about servers and applications.
An in-place upgrade from Striim 3.x will delete all data persisted to Elasticsearch.
To preserve this data, use the export-import method instead. See Installation Guide >
Upgrading Striim > In-place upgrade.
BigQuery expects time-partitioned tables by default
By default, starting in 4.0, BigQuery expects target tables to be partitioned by
ingestion time or DATE, DATETIME, or TIMESTAMP columns. See Adapters Guide > Writers >
BigQuery Writer > Improving performance by partitioning BigQuery tables.
Oracle Reader transaction buffer defaults have changed
By default, Oracle Reader now automatically buffers transactions larger than 100MB to
disk. See Change Data Capture (CDC) Guide > Oracle Database > Oracle Reader properties >
Change Transaction Buffer Type.
Kafka SASL configuration has changed
Starting in Striim 4.0, SASL properties are specified in the Kafka Config property
of Kafka Reader and Kafka Writer. If you connect to a Kafka cluster that uses SASL, see
Installation and Configuration Guide > Configuring Kafka for details.
SQL Server JDBC drivers
SQL Server 2008 requires an older version of Microsoft's JDBC driver that is not
compatible with the most recent SQL Server versions. See the Installation and Configuration
Guide > Configuring Striim > Insalling third-party drivers > Installing the Microsoft
JDBC driver for more information.
Customer-reported issues fixed in release 4.1.0:
- DEV-14600: GGTrailParser: "Unsupported record, skipping it" error
- DEV-15431: OracleReader > KuduWriter: race condition error
- DEV-16218: GTrailParser issue
- DEV-17194: MySQL Reader issue when database timezone is different from Striim timezone
- DEV-19271: Snowflake Writer in Windows: invalid UTF8 detected in string
- DEV-21122: Database Reader / Oracle issue reading views
- DEV-21503: BigQuery Writer: JobId sometimes missing from server log
- DEV-21785: EmailAdapter issue with getting subject line from field values
- DEV-22224: MS SQL Reader / Azure SQL DB: issue accessing replica that is not in the PRIMARY or SECONDARY role
- DEV-22253: DSV Formatter useQuotes issue
- DEV-22737: Flow Designer issue with CQ that includes user-defined function
- DEV-22830: JMS Reader issue after dropping and recreating
- DEV-23193: Avro Formatter and Parquet Formatter: special character $ support issue
- DEV-23477: Mongo DB Reader codec error
- DEV-23645: Kafka Reader logs unnecessary error messages
- DEV-23718: GG File Reader: Kryo serialisation issue
- DEV-23772: DatabaseWriter / MySQL Connection Retry Policy issue
- DEV-23815: GG File Reader unexpected quiesce
- DEV-24204: Dashboard query issue after deleting WActionStore
- DEV-24862: Oracle Reader with 19c MissingFileException error
- DEV-25315: MySQL Reader ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsExceptionCause error
- DEV-25414: Flow Designer error after editing CQ
- DEV-25799: GG Trail Reader issue with extracting ROWID from metadata
- DEV-26026: email alerts about application crash / quiesce are delayed
- DEV-26498: errors running Striim as a service on Windows
- DEV-26567: GG Trail Reader missed one delete record
- DEV-26750: Striim installed using RPM: StriimDiagUtility issue
- DEV-26999: Striim installed using RPM: StriimDiagUtility issue
- DEV-27012: Exception thrown by open processor not handled as expected
- DEV-27074: SQL Server > Filewriter memory issue
- DEV-27099: console issue
- DEV-27106: putUserData function should not require so much memory
- DEV-27133: custom Java function not available after using LOAD command
- DEV-27144: MySQL Reader schema evolution issue
- DEV-27160: GG Trail Reader schema evolution includes tables that are not specified in Tables property
- DEV-27169: GG Trail Reader does not quiesce on DDL when CDDLAction is set to quiesce
- DEV-27171: GG Trail Reader schema evolution issue
- DEV-27241: Snowflake Writer: issues due to three-part table names not being specified
- DEV-27291: false low disk space message
- DEV-27388: Oracle Reader > MSJet: memory issue on 30-million-row insert
- DEV-27389: Oracle Reader connection retry isue
- DEV-27420: MSSQLReader error due to invalid startposition format
- DEV-27518: Oracle Reader: OperationName UNSUPPORTED errors
- DEV-27657: Snowflake Writer: issue with NUMBER(38,0) when number has 38 digits
- DEV-27730: FileReader: file lineage issue when FileReader is running on Forwarding Agent
- DEV-27885: GG Trail Parser / Reader: issue with very large transaction
- DEV-28068: CPU usage higher after upgrading from 3.10.3 to 4.0.4
- DEV-28240: MongoDBReader: error due to unexpected error in oplog
- DEV-28247: MySQL Reader: incorrect time coversion
- DEV-28264: Oracle Reader: recovery checkpoint issue after upgradingfrom 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124A
- DEV-28265: Azure Synapse Writer: must specify three-part table name when using wildcard with ColumnMap
- DEV-28272: LEE report issue
- DEV-28310: Azure Synapse Writer: issue with CLOB values when size > 8000
- DEV-28333: Oracle Reader: recovery checkpoint issue
- DEV-28379: OracleReader: issue with CLOB value update
- DEV-28431: Snowflake Writer: identity column not incrementing
- DEV-28452: MongoDB Reader: issue due to timeout by MongoDB
- DEV-28460: MSSQL Reader: issue due to missing SQL Server role, need better error message
- DEV-28467: SpannerBatchReader failed with DEADLINE exception
- DEV-28493: JMS Reader: typo in doc
- DEV-28509: MongoDB Reader: recovery issue
- DEV-28516: high memory usage issue
- DEV-28527: MySQL Reader: issue with special characters in table names
- DEV-28535: MySQL Reader: SAVEPOINT issue
- DEV-28541: Oracle Reader: database sessions created by Striim are not cleared as expected
- DEV-28593: Spanner Writer: "transaction contains too many mutations" error
- DEV-28708: GG Trail Reader missing trail sequence number error
- DEV-28712: GG Trail Parser: issue when operation spans multiple records
- DEV-28766: File Reader: header row read again after recovery
- DEV-28777: Database Writer: vendor exception code for unique index violation appears in server log but not in UI
- DEV-28778: Salesforce Reader reads objects older than StartTimestamp
- DEV-28802: error in documentation for in-place upgrade
- DEV-28921: GG Trail Reader: issue when operation spans multiple records
- DEV-29174: Kafka Reader with JSON Parser: value with 20 digits exceeds upper bound of long data type
- DEV-29291: false "Alert application is not running" error
- DEV-29366: MariaDB Reader: misleading error message when binlog configuration is wrong
- DEV-29476: Database Writer / SQL Server: issue with checkpoint table
- DEV-29671: GG Trail Reader: ALTER TABLE not being handled by CDDL Process
- DEV-29713: Spanner Batch Reader: issue with Augment Query Clause
No previously reported known issues were fixed in this release.
The following issues have been identified but not yet fixed as of this release.
Additional known issues are mentioned in the relevant topics in the documentation.
HTTPReader is missing the Parser menu in the UI (DEV-1854)
Workaround: Use the console or import TQL.
WActionStore silently discards events with null value for event type key (DEV-5599)
Dashboard queries not dropped with the dashboard or overwritten on import (DEV-6068)
When you drop a dashboard, its queries are not dropped. If you drop and re-import a dashboard, the queries in the JSON file do not overwrite those already in Striim.
Workaround: drop the namespace.
SORTER objects do not appear in the UI (DEV-8142)
DatabaseWriter shows no error in UI when MySQL credentials are incorrect (DEV-8933)
If your DatabaseWriter Username or Password values are correct, you will see no error
in the UI but no data will be written to MySQL. You will see errors in
webaction.server.log regarding DatabaseWriter containing
Failure in Processing
command denied to user.
DatabaseWriter needs separate checkpoint table for each node when deployed on multiple nodes (DEV-11305)
Import of custom Java function fails (DEV-17653)
IMPORT STATIC may fail. Workaround: use lowercase
When DatabaseReader Tables property uses wildcard, views are also read (DEV-19903)
Workaround: use Excluded Tables to exclude the views.